Minimalist design is characterized by minimal decorations, colors, and clutter, favoring neutral or monochromatic color schemes and simple furniture – avoiding bold patterns. The minimalist approach believes that simplicity is beautiful and that ‘less is more’. It can greatly enhance your workspace, reducing stress and improving your productivity. We’ll help you get that minimalist work desk setup.
Advantages of a Minimalist Desk Setup
If you’re wondering why people love minimalist desk setups, here are some proven benefits:
- Improved Focus.
Scientific studies show that having clutter and various objects around can distract us from our tasks, these distractions lead to wasted time and difficulty regaining focus. A desk filled with pictures and items can interrupt our thoughts – multiple times throughout the day.
Moreover, focussing on unnecessary items takes up mental space and makes it harder to concentrate on the task at hand.
- Increased Productivity
An organized workspace leads to greater success in our jobs. Disorganization wastes time and effort searching for things hinders your productivity. However, a minimalist desk setup with everything in its place allows for an uninterrupted workflow, as we know where everything we need is located.
Time wasted searching for misplaced items not only affects productivity but also leads to frustration, and once our mood is negatively affected, it becomes difficult to regain a positive working state.
Research also suggests that clutter and unnecessary objects considerably decrease creativity. For professions requiring creativity, like graphic design, a minimalist work desk setup can enhance inspiration and mental function.
- Reduced Stress
A cluttered and distracting desk can cause stress and negative associations with your workspace, if you struggle daily to find things, it creates a sense of dread when it’s time to work or find tools for our tasks. A minimalist desk setup promotes organization and clear spaces where everything has its place.
Having everything in order reduces stress and creates a smoother workflow!
Tips for Achieving a Minimalist Desk Setup
If you’re ready to rearrange your desk for a minimalist aesthetic, here are some tips for achieving and maintaining minimalist office organization:
1. Get a Shredder: Most documents can be stored digitally, saving paper and reducing clutter. For those hard-copies you no longer need, get rid of them – using a Document Shredder is also a great idea to prevent your personal and financial data becoming vulnerable to exposure.
2. Create and Order by Classification: Organize devices, files, paperwork, and projects into clear categories. This makes it easier to find items when needed!
3. If you don’t use it – lose it: Linked to the above, keep only the essentials on your minimalist work desk setup!
4. Adopt a Before and After Approach: Dedicate one side of your desk to items that help you start a task or project. Keep materials for ongoing projects on the other side. This approach keeps work priorities in order – akin to a production line, goods in on the left, finished article on the right.
5. Consider Task Complexity: Group tasks based on their complexity and mental focus required. Schedule the most mentally taxing tasks at times when you’re most alert – and ready to tackle them. Just have those files, items, work-stuffs on your desk that you need for the immediate task.
6. Prioritize: Use folders or labels to organize based on the priority and deadlines of assignments. A calendar or planner can help keep track of deadlines – Get it on a wall! This will help to clear your desk further, and gives you focus at a glance.
7. Utilize Hidden Storage: Items that are not needed on your desk at all times should have designated spots in drawers or under-desk storage.
8. Go for minimalist office desk decor: Don’t go for busy color schemes or patterns, select furniture with clean lines. Select objects and colors that compliment one another. And, stick to neutral colours!
9. Electronic Devices: Most modern peripherals are now wireless. You can get a Bluetooth Mouse, Bluetooth Keyboards which mean there are no unsightly cables strewn across your desk. Also, utilising Docking stations allows you to locate your laptop, phone, external hard drives, etc… more neatly.
10. Desktop Containers: Get the right minimalist office Desk Organizer for the job. Any old container will quickly become a dumping ground for anything and everything on your desk, get specific containers for specific items. Don’t go over the top – remember, we want a minimalist workspace – with minimalist desk accessories. Covering it with too many containers will not give you the desired effect.
11. Minimalist Desk Inspiration: Lookout for for minimalist office desk ideas, get inspired. Look at Pinterest or Youtube for minimalist desk solutions that have already been created – and copy ideas that suit you best.
To Wrap Up…
In conclusion, the benefits of a minimalist desk setup make the effort to organize your space worthwhile. It creates a more efficient, confident and harmonious working environment, ultimately leading to increased productivity.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Should everyone have a minimalist desk setup?
No, not necessarily.
Different people have different preferences and working styles – being unique individuals, some of us function better with everything in view, while others prefer a minimalist setup. It’s worth trying it out for a week or two to see if it works for you.
Q. Is having a minimalist desk better for your health and wellbeing?
It certainly is! You’ll need less time to clean a clutter-free workspace, giving you have more time to relax or do the leisure activities that you enjoy! You’ll also be less stressed, as you’ll work more efficiently giving you more time away from your work.
Q. Should I go for a minimalist workspace if I have a small space?
Of course! Not everyone has a dedicated room to use as a Home Office space in their home. For most of us, our home office space is stolen from other rooms in the home. Taking a minimalist approach is the best option for those lacking office space.