If you’re an office worker, you understand the importance of having a comfortable and stylish workspace. One essential feature that can elevate the appearance of your work environment is a leather office chair. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the process of how to clean your leather office chair. We’ll cover everything from the materials and techniques needed to keep it pristine.
Not only does it add a touch of elegance and luxury, but it also provides excellent support for long hours of sitting. However, owning a leather office chair comes with the responsibility of proper care and maintenance to ensure its longevity and pristine appearance.
By following these steps, you can keep your leather chair looking and feeling its best for years to come.
Step 1: Gathering the Right Materials
Before you embark on the journey of how to effectively clean your leather office chair, it’s crucial to gather the necessary materials. Having the right supplies ensures that you can effectively and safely clean your chair.
Here are the materials you’ll need:
- A selection of brushes or, ideally, a Vacuum cleaner with furniture or soft brush attachments
- Leather Protector/ Conditioner
- Leather Cleaner or Mild Soap
- 2 Buckets of water – one to wash, the other to rinse cloths/ towels
- Soft cloths or Microfiber towels
- Old towels – for catching/ drying any excess water
It’s essential to note that not all cleaning materials are suitable for leather office chairs. Harsh chemicals and abrasive cleaners can damage the leather or cause discoloration. Therefore, it’s crucial to use mild soap or a specifically designed Leather Cleaner to ensure the proper care of your chair.
Step 2: Preparing for Cleaning
Before diving into the cleaning process, there are a few essential preparations you should make. These steps will help ensure a successful and safe cleaning experience.
Follow these pre-cleaning preparations:
- Get your cleaning materials together – Make sure you have all the necessary cleaning supplies, such as mild soap or leather cleaner, distilled water, soft cloths or microfiber towels, and a soft-bristled brushes or Vacuum Cleaner. Having everything within reach will streamline the cleaning process.
- If you have the manufacturer’s instructions – READ THEM!
- Always check the manufacturer’s instructions for any specific cleaning recommendations or products to use. This step will prevent any unintentional damage to your leather chair.
- Brush or Vacuum the chair – Use a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to remove loose dirt, dust, and debris from the surface of the leather. This step prevents any scratches or abrasions, or ‘grinding in’ the dirt during the cleaning process. Brushes will suffice, but a Vacuum Cleaner is far superior.
- Select an unseen area of the chair to test the cleaner – Before applying any cleaner to your entire chair, test it on a small, out of sight area. Like the underside, or cushion back. This test will ensure that the cleaner doesn’t discolor or damage the leather. Ensure you wait for the test area to dry completely before continuing, as issues may only be revealed once the surface is dry.
By carefully following these pre-requisite cleaning considerations, you can ensure you proceed seamlessly with the confidence your leather office chair will receive the care it deserves without any unwanted damage.
Step 3: Cleaning the Leather Chair
Now that you’re prepared, it’s time to start cleaning your leather office chair. Follow these steps to effectively clean your chair and restore its natural beauty:
- Step 1 – Using a vaccuum, remove any loose dirt and debris from the chair’s surface – ideally using an upholstery attachment, brush or a soft cloth.
- Step 2 – Choose a cleaning method based on the condition of your chair and the materials you have. You can either use a mild soap and water solution or a Leather Cleaner.
- Step 3 – If using mild soap and water, mix warm water with a few drops of soap. Dip a clean microfiber cloth into the solution and gently rub it onto the leather in circular motions. This process will remove dirt and stains. Repeat this process, ensuring you clean the wet microfiber cloth in the bucket containing the clean ‘rinse’ water.
- Step 4 – After cleaning, rinse the chair with a damp cloth to remove any soap residue. Ensure that the cloth is only slightly damp.
- Step 5 – When you are content you have cleaned the leather effectively, wipe the leather clean with a dry cloth.
- Step 6 – If using a Leather Cleaner, follow the manufacturers instructions provided on the product label. Apply the cleaner using a clean cloth and rub it onto the leather in circular motions. This action will spread the conditioner efficiently to nourish the leather. Then, wipe the leather clean with a dry cloth to remove any excess.
- Step 7: Dry the chair with a soft towel or let it air dry completely before using it again. Again, follow the manufacturers advice. Furthermore, avoid exposing the chair to direct sunlight or heat sources during the drying process. (The chair should, ideally, be kept away from these anyway!)
By following these steps, you can effectively clean your leather office chair and restore its original lustre.
Step 4: Post Cleaning – Protecting the Leather
Cleaning is not the final step in maintaining your leather office chair. Conditioning the leather is crucial to keep it hydrated, supple, and resistant to cracking.
Follow these steps to condition your leather chair:
- Choose a premium Leather Conditioner suitable for your type of leather. Check the manufacturers guide to ensure it is safe to use on your chair.
- Apply a conservative amount of conditioner – or as instructed, to a clean, soft cloth. Gently rub the conditioner into the leather in a circular motion, paying extra attention to areas of high-wear, being prone to cracking or drying out. These may need more liberal amounts applied.
- Allow the conditioner to be absorbed into the leather. This duration may vary depending on the product, so be mindful of the manufacturers advice.
- After the conditioner has been absorbed into the leather, consider re-applying further applications until you are happy the leather is sufficiently conditioned.
- Use a clean cloth to buff the leather and remove any excess product. This step will restore the shine and luster of the leather. Some Conditioners may be ‘buffed-up’ to give the leather a shiny, silk, or matte finish.
Remember, it’s essential not to over-condition your leather office chair, it will not be as damaging as under-conditioning your chair, but might mean you leave with your ‘once’ nice white pants tainted! Remember, conditioning frequently will mean cleaning will be easier – perhaps a quick wipe down before the application of more Leather Conditioner. And, as said, always follow the instructions on the manufacturers label!.
To Wrap Up…
Caring for and cleaning your leather office chair is a straightforward process that requires attention to detail and the right materials. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can keep your chair in ‘Tip-Top’ condition and enjoy its comfort and elegance for years to come.
To regularly clean and condition your leather chair will prolong its life – leather chairs can last decades, centuries with the right care. With proper care, your leather office chair will continue to enhance your work environment and make a lasting impression.
Think about the following…
- Keep it out of direct sunlight – or cover it!
- Keep it away from direct heat!
- Clean & Condition the leather regularly!
- Keep food & drink away – if you can!
But, if all this up-keep is not for you, consider exploring alternative options like modern Mesh office chairs, to find the perfect fit for your workspace.
We have professional backgrounds in Software Testing and Business Analysis, both with extensive experience of working for commercial enterprises and as a freelancers. We toggle between working from corporate premises and our own home offices. We have a passion for home working, and for using equipment that is ergonomically functional, well designed and elegant.