Ever thought ‘why does my desk get so dusty’..? And, no matter how often you clean, it’s still covered in dust? If so, you’re not alone – my desk gets dusty… a lot! Dust is one of the biggest challenges for any desk, office, or workspace; but with the right products and techniques, you can keep your desk dust-free.
In this blog, we’ll explore:
- What causes our desks to become so dusty
- The benefits of a dust-free desk
- The best products for keeping your desk dust-free
- How to clean a dusty desk
- And tips to prevent getting continual dust on your desk.
Why My Desk Gets so Dusty?
Dust is made up of tiny particles, such as dirt, pollen, but predominantly human skin. Urrggghhhh! It’s constantly swirling in the air through drafts or with as disturbance as you walk by – looking for a place to settle.
Desks normally have large, flat surface areas, that’s why dust accumulates on their surfaces. But, there are some other factors that can contribute to a dustier desk.
if you have pets nearby – they can shed fur and dander which may accumulate on your desk.
If you have a window near your desk – outdoor dust particles can drop in and settle on top of the desk.
Being lazy! Additionally, if you don’t clean your desk regularly, the accrued dust itself will make your desk accumulate more dust faster by ‘catching’ even more particles.
The Benefits of a Dust-Free Desk
Having a dust-free desk can offer several benefits.
- For starters, it can help improve the air quality in your workspace, dust particles can contain toxins, allergens, and other pollutants that can negatively affect your health.
- Additionally, a dust-free desk can help reduce stress and improve productivity – you don’t have to worry about dust accumulating on your desk, tainting documents or devices; so you can focus more on your work.
- Aesthetics. It just doesn’t look good having a dusty desk! If you have visitors to your office, or even via web-conferencing, they won’t see you as being professional.
The Best Products for Keeping Your Desk Dust-Free
It’s important to use the right products to keep your desk dust-free. A few of the best products for dust removal are:
- Microfiber Cloths: These are great for wiping down surfaces, such as your desk. They pick up dust and dirt quickly and efficiently.
- Feather Dusters: These are great for removing dust from hard-to-reach areas. Though have a tendency to ‘push’ the dust away, as opposed to trapping it.
- Vacuums: A handheld vacuum is perfect for getting rid of dust, dirt, and pet hair from your desk. Modern ones come with particulate filters – even High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) rated ones.
- Anti-Static Spray: This spray is designed to reduce the amount of static electricity in your workspace, which attracts dust particles.
- Air Purifiers: An air purifier is great for reducing dust and other pollutants in the air, these too can be HEPA rated.
How to Clean a Dusty Desk
When it comes to cleaning a dusty desk, there are a few important steps to follow. First, make sure it is safe to work. Ensure you safely power down any devices – computers, etc. In the process of dusting you could easily pull a power cord, losing work or even pulling an appliance off your desk.
Using a microfiber cloth, starting at the highest desk items, wipe down each surface. Work your way downwards. This will help remove any dust and dirt that has accumulated on the desk by not knocking fresh dust onto an already cleaned surface. Then, use a feather duster to get into the awkward, cracks and crevices – note, this will dislodge dust.
Next, use a vacuum to remove pet hair, dislodged dust, and any other dirt. Remember, start high and work downwards.
Finally, use an anti-static spray to reduce the amount of static electricity in your workspace.
Tips for Preventing Dust on Your Desk
Now that you know how to clean a dusty desk, here are some tips for preventing dust from accumulating in the first place:
- Clean regularly: Make sure to clean your desk at least once a week. This will help keep dust from building up – attracting yet more dust.
- Try to keep pets away from your desk, or…
- Use a lint roller: A lint roller is great for quickly removing pet hair and other debris from your desk.
- Keep windows closed: Not always necessary, but If you have a window near your desk, and you are near dirt roads, etc… maybe try to keep it closed. This will help reduce outdoor dust particles from getting in.
- Use a dust filter: If you have a fan or air purifier near your desk, make sure it has a dust filter. This will help reduce the amount of dust in the air. Remember, HEPA rated ones are best!
- Keep the floor clean: Vacuum regularly to reduce the amount of dust in your workspace. Big surfaces attract big dust! Walking through that big surface will kick-up all those particles into the air, and they’ve got to land somewhere!
To Wrap Up…
Dust is a common problem for desks, like everyone else my desk gets so dusty too, but it doesn’t have to be. By following these tips, you can keep your desk clean and dust-free. Use the right products and techniques, and you’ll be able to enjoy a dust-free workspace.
Just don’t be lazy! So, what are you waiting for… start cleaning your desk today!