Are you a child of the ‘old school’ or or a modern darling? If the latter you’ll probably seek to own a contemporary Office chair with shiny steel and gloss wheels and matte black mesh upholstery. If you are a child of earlier years then your tastes may be a bit more classic. Waxed wood and polished leather cushions!
In this generational contrast of styles, we ask which is best – Form over function? Flair over comfort? Longevity over modern design?
So, buckle up – with your leather belts or plastic straps – as we discuss the pros & cons of each.
1 – Leather Office Chairs – The Benefits
Leather office chairs offer numerous advantages that make them an excellent investment for your workspace.
Here are some key benefits:
- Aesthetic Appeal – Leather office chairs exude a sense of prestige and sophistication. They add a touch of elegance and elevate the overall look and feel of any office environment.
- Durability – Genuine leather is a durable material, used by man for centuries, proven to withstand the test of time. Investing in a ‘quality’ leather office chair ensures it will last for years, making it a worthwhile long-term investment.
- Protection – Spills and stains are naturally repelled, making it easier to clean and maintain. Unless its a chemical spill (bleach, paint, acids, etc) a simple wipe with a damp cloth is often sufficient to keep the chair looking pristine.
- Comfort – Leather chairs offer excellent comfort, with enough use moulding to the user’s body over time. They provide support and cushioning, preventing discomfort during long hours of sitting.
- Hygiene – Leather is inherently hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, making it a hygienic choice for office furniture. This quality helps maintain a clean and healthy workspace.
While leather office chairs offer numerous benefits, it’s important to consider the potential drawbacks before making a purchase.
2 – The Drawbacks of Leather Office Chairs
Despite their obvious advantages, leather office chairs also have some drawbacks. Sorry ‘old-timers’!
Here are a few factors to consider:
- Cost – Genuine leather office chairs tend to be more expensive than chairs made from other materials. The luxurious feel and durability of leather contribute to its higher price point.
- Durability – Leather is susceptible to scratches, especially if not properly cared for. Vigilance and regular leather maintenance are necessary to prevent and treat scratches effectively.
- Ventilation – Leather can, with prolonged use, get hot and clammy. Unless you can get an example that has perforations to encourage air-flow.
- Authenticity – Is it genuine leather? With the availability of imitation leathers in the market, it can be challenging to differentiate genuine leather from synthetic alternatives. Be cautious when making a purchase and ensure you’re getting the real deal.
Considering both the benefits and drawbacks will help you make an informed decision when choosing between a leather office chair and alternative options, like modern mesh examples. We’ve tried to be impartial and assess the qualities of each… relax old timers… and youngsters!
3 – Mesh Office Chairs as an Alternative to Leather Office Chairs
If a leather office chair doesn’t meet your preferences or budget, mesh office chairs are a popular alternative.
Here’s why they might be the right choice for your workspace:
- Ventilation – Mesh office chairs feature a breathable design that promotes airflow, keeping you cool and comfortable during long hours of work. This ventilation prevents over-heating and discomfort.
- Maintenance Free – Mesh chairs are lightweight and easy to manoeuvre, making them ideal for individuals who frequently move around their workspace. They are also low maintenance, requiring the occasional chair lubricant being applied to moving parts, and require minimal cleaning.
- Ergonomic Options – Most of the best ergonomic chairs are made from modern materials – often recycled ones, there are not many leather equivalents.
- Availability and Affordability – Mesh office chairs are widely available and come in a range of styles and price points. They offer a sleek and modern look without breaking the bank.
- Design Options – Mesh chairs have many design options in terms of appearance, styles, and colors. Though many Ergonomic office chairs are very similar. It’s fair to say there are also a variety of designs and finishes available in leather too! If aesthetics are a priority for you, design variety may be a factor.
While mesh office chairs offer their own set of advantages, it’s essential to consider their limitations as well. We did say we’d be fair!
4 – The Limitations of Mesh Office Chairs
While mesh office chairs have gained popularity, they also have a few limitations. Here are some factors to consider:
- Comfort – While mesh chairs provide adequate support and adjustability, they may not offer the same level of comfort as leather chairs, particularly during long periods of sitting. Consider your comfort needs before making a decision.
- Durability – Mesh chairs may not withstand heavy use as well as leather chairs. Over time, the mesh material can stretch or wear out, affecting the chair’s overall durability.
- Longevity – Compared to leather chairs, mesh chairs are not known for their longevity. Leather chairs can last decades, even longer! Leather can be maintained and repaired, plastic and metal parts can fatigue and break. Will their replacement parts be available decades later? Most likely not. Though, this is a symptom of todays society, they are designed to be used, abused and discarded – hopefully recycled!
5 – The Final Verdict
When choosing an office chair, it’s essential to consider your comfort, budget, maintenance and design preferences. Leather office chairs offer a timeless and sophisticated look, along with durability, comfort, and hygienic benefits. On the other hand, mesh office chairs provide ventilation, affordability, a modern aesthetic and greater ergonomic variety.
Ultimately, the decision between a leather office chair and a mesh office chair depends on your personal preferences when considering the above factors and needs; consider the benefits and drawbacks of each option to make an informed choice for your workspace.
If pressed we opt for contemporary mesh models over leather ones for the following reason. Comfort. Ergonomic comfort. You simply have more flexible mesh based options. Having that ensures you can get the right one for you, that you can adjust to you, enabling you to work longer and more healthily. Though, for the room in your house where you can relax, nothing beats a cool leather chair!
We have professional backgrounds in Software Testing and Business Analysis, both with extensive experience of working for commercial enterprises and as a freelancers. We toggle between working from corporate premises and our own home offices. We have a passion for home working, and for using equipment that is ergonomically functional, well designed and elegant.